[October 12, 2000] The 'Navy Electronic Technical Manual XML DTD' supplies one example representative of the effort to create XML document models for genres previously in SGML.
"The Navy CALS Coordination Office manages and coordinates Navy-wide CALS initiatives. Navy Systems Commands, the Marine Corps, as well as individual Program Offices, manage their own CALS initiatives. The Technical Information Systems Department (David Taylor Model Basin, Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock Division) provides CALS digital data technology support to Department of Navy activities and programs implementing CALS and maintains this Web site. CALS (Continuous Acquisition and Life-Cycle Support) is a Department of Defense initiative to dramatically improve weapon system acquisition and life-cycle support processes through accelerated creation and application of digital product data and technical information. Following the CALS strategy, the Navy is well underway in transitioning from paper-intensive modes of operation to a new digital product data environment."
Navy DTD/FOSI Repository: "The Navy DTD/FOSI Repository was established as a mechanism to promote sharing of DoN DTDs and FOSIs and minimize DoN investment in DTD and FOSI development. The DTDs in this Repository are official Navy DTDs and should be used, when appropriate. The DTDs are available for download as well as available in HTML. Using the HTML version you can navigate through each SGML DTD via hyperlinking. The Repository includes the Navy SGML Baseline Tagset, a data dictionary of Navy SGML tags and definitions, that promotes use of common Navy SGML tags for similar document elements. The Technology Implementation Support Team, Code 2053, Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock Division, manages the DTD/FOSI Repository and also provides technical consultation to Navy activities using, creating, or registering DTDs and FOSIs."
Navy ETM XML DTD "This is an XML DTD developed by NAVSEA Naval Surface Warfare Center Carderock Division for Navy Technical Manuals. It is a subset of the NAVSEA ETM CLASS 2 REVISION D (NOVEMBER 1, 1998) DTD that is the NAVSEA 04TD approved DTD for MIL-M-38784-like ETMS." [source]
- EOSS, Engineering Operational Sequencing System DTD. SGML. "This document type definition (DTD) models the Naval Surface Warfare, Carderock Division, Ship Systems Engineering Station (NSWCCD-SSES) Engineering Operational Sequencing System (EOSS) document class. It is invoked by the document type declaration. This DTD is an enhancement of the 970305 EOSS DTD which makes provision for a hyperlinking capability between SGML text and CGM4 graphics through the 'dialink' element type." [cache]
- MIL-M-38784, Manuals, Technical: General Style and Format Requirements
- MIL-PRF-87269, Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals DataBase (IETMDB) DTD
- NAVSEA Class 2, NAVSEA Class 2 Electronic Technical Manual DTD
- Navy ETM XML DTD, Navy Electronic Technical Manual XML DTD
- NNS MPP, Newport News Shipbuilding Multi-Purpose Publishing DTD. [cache]
- PMS, Planned Maintenance System DTD (SGML). With ISO character entities and PMS entity files [source]
"MIL-HDBK 511 DoD Handbook for Interoperability of Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals." 15 May 2000. Advocates use of XML.
Contacts [2000-10-10]: Mr. Joe Garner Department Head, Technology Information Systems Department Naval Surface Warfare Center - Carderock Division (NSWCCD) firstname.lastname@example.org Ms. Lori Westbrook NSWCCD, Technology Implementation Support Team email@example.com +1 (301)227-3346.