The EAN.UCC Global Data Dictionary (GDD) was recently announced by EAN International and the Uniform Code Council (UCC) as a new tool providing a common framework for global standards development. "Developed by the UCC, EAN International, and global users representing a wide range of industries, the GDD is a relational database of names, terms, and definitions that support the standards of the EAN.UCC System. This online repository supports the definitions and references associated with all data components and entities of EAN.UCC standards. The GDD also supports cross-reference to external standards organization entities, including ebXML, X12, and EANCOM. The dictionary will provide a foundational information tool for the EAN.UCC Global Standards Management Process, which provides a single-pass source for the development of open, global standards for users of the EAN.UCC System. By providing a clear and common framework, the dictionary will help eliminate ambiguity from the terms used in EAN.UCC business messages and XML standards. The development of new e-business standards by EAN and UCC has created a critical need to store, reuse and share precise core components and business definitions and their equivalent representations in targeted standards such as EDI (Electronic Data Interchange), XML (Extensible Markup Language), or AIDC (Automatic Identification and Data Capture). The EAN.UCC Global Data Dictionary functions as a core components repository for this data. The dictionary provides a single, global source for the names, terms, and definitions that support EAN.UCC standards and will greatly enhance the ability of users to understand and implement the standards."
From the GDD website: "The development of new e-business standards by EAN and the UCC has created a critical need to store, reuse and share precise core component and business definitions and their equivalent representations in targeted standards such as EDI, XML, and AIDC. The storage for this data is the EAN.UCC Global Data Dictionary (GDD). This repository is developed to fully support the EAN.UCC Business Message Standards and EAN.UCC XML Standard Schemas."
Data dictionary views include:
- Business Message/BRG - Business Message details for Business Users for all or specific Business Messages
- Business Message/TRG - Business Message Details for Technical Users for Technical Users for all or specific Business Message
- Class Detail - Class detail for all or specific class entries
- Attribute Detail - Business Attribute detail for all or specific Business Attribute entities
- XML Schema/Tag Name - Details the XML Tag Name for a Business Attribute
- EDI Data Element - Details of the EDI Data Element information for a Business Attribute
EAN.UCC GDD Reports. "The EAN.UCC GDD file for Simpl-eb containing detailed reports supporting the EAN.UCC Business Message Standards and EAN.UCC Standard Schemas [Version 1.1,Feb 2002] for Simpl-eb are available for download. The EAN.UCC GDD File for CPFR containing detailed reports supporting the EAN.UCC Business Message Standards and EAN.UCC Standard Schemas [Version 1.1, February 2002] for CPFR are available for download."
Related work: EAN.UCC Global Data Synchronisation Project, under Manager Jack Eggert (Project Number 4599). "The output is the Business Message Standard with XML Schemas. The Team will complete a Global Standards Document that includes BRD (with text, UML, data dictionary, and XML schema) and Implementation Guidelines with Architecture of the process."
About EAN.UCC: "The joint mission of the Uniform Code Council, Inc. and EAN International is to improve supply chain management and other business processes that reduce costs and/or add value for both products and services. EAN International and UCC develop, establish and promote global, open standards for identification and communication for the benefit of the users involved and the ultimate consumer. Additional information about the EAN.UCC Global Data Dictionary and the Global Standards Management Process is available at www.ean-ucc.org. Further information about the Uniform Code Council and EAN International can be found on their respective websites: www.uc-council.org and www.ean-int.org."
- Announcement: "Uniform Code Council and EAN International Release Global Data Dictionary. New Tool Provides Common Framework for Global Standards Development."
- GDD website
- View the GDD
- "The General Business Model and Global Data Dictionary." By W. Grant Kille (Standards Implementation Manager, WorldWide Retail Exchange). Presented at the 2002 U Connect Conference. Salt Lake City, Utah, UA. May 23, 2002.
- Comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Earlier EAN.UCC news stories:
- "RosettaNet and Uniform Code Council Inc. (UCC) Announce Merger". 2002-08-05.
- "Report to the Uniform Code Council (UCC) on ebXML Interoperability and Conformance Validation". 2002-03-20.
- "Uniform Code Council Releases EAN.UCC XML Schemas for eCommerce". 2001-08-22.
- "Uniform Code Council (UCC) Announces Modular EAN-UCC XML Schemas for Global E-commerce". 2001-06-25.
- EAN.UCC XML and Business Message Standards
- "Uniform Code Council (UCC) XML Program" - Main reference page.