Journal Announcement and Call for Papers
Markup Languages: Theory & Practice
B. Tommie Usdin, Mulberry Technologies, Inc.
C. M. Sperberg-McQueen, University of Illinois/Chicago
The MIT Press is proud to announce the launch of Markup Languages: Theory & Practice starting in early 1999. This quarterly, peer-reviewed technical journal will be the first journal devoted to research, development, and practical applications of text markup for computer processing, management, manipulation, and display. Specific areas of interest include new syntaxes for generic markup languages; refinements to existing markup languages; theory of formal languages as applied to document markup; systems for mark-up; uses of markup for printing, hypertext, electronic display, content analysis, information reuse and repurposing, search and retrieval, and interchange; shared applications of markup languages; and techniques and methodologies for developing markup languages and applications of markup languages.
The editors invite academics and practitioners to forward submissions on the above topics.
Note: The journal will be print only [. . .] There will be a companion web site that will be for material supporting the articles that appear in print. This material could include sample code and/or data, demonstration software, etc. [from Dennis J. O'Connor, 980716]
Description of forthcoming content material includes:
- The Wall Street Journal Interactive Edition
- An XML-based system for creating wizard-style helps
- Implementing SGML for Electronic Publications at the ASM
- DTD Testing Element Type Hierarchies for Document Structure Definition
- SGML Document Quality
- Merging Object Oriented Design and SGML Architectures
- XML, XSL, and XLink
Periodicity, Price, and Identifiers
- Periodicity: Quarterly. Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall
- Extent: 128 pages per issue, 7 x 10
- First issue: January 1999 (Volume 1 forthcoming)
- ISSN: 1099-6621
- Subscription Rates: $50 individual, $145 institution
For submission information contact:
B. Tommie Usdin
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.
17 West Jefferson St., Ste 207
Rockville, MD 20850
Computer Center (M/C 135)
University of Illinois/Chicago
Tel: 312-413-0317 or 708-386-3584