'ISO-HTML' (alias "Standard HTML") is a proposed ISO/IEC International Standard for the HyperText Markup Language (HTML). The following links have been collected from publicly-accessible WWW pages. For further information or involvement in this standards work, contact representatives with WG8 and liaisons.
'ISO-HTML' is a proposed ISO/IEC International Standard for the HyperText Markup Language (HTML). It is a new effort in 1996-1997, under the auspices of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC18/WG8. According to Report on W3C HTML 4.0/ISO-HTML Harmonization Meeting [WG8 N1931] : "The final Committee Draft of ISO 15445 ISO-HTML is currently under review, and balloting will end on August 15th 1997."
The New Project Proposal to ISO, as documented in WG8 N1853 (May 21, 1996), said of the new ISO HTML ("Standard HTML"): "This standard shall be a conforming application of SGML, suited to serve the needs of JTC1 and others needing a stable format for documents displayed on the World-Wide Web (WWW)." The purpose and justification was given as follows: "While HTML has grown rapidly, many of the latest features are of minimal use to those who desire a simple, stable format for presenting documents on the WWW. The working group that developed the early versions of HTML is being disbanded, and a new group is needed to maintain basic functionality. ISO/IEC JTC1/SC18/WG8, as the developers of SGML, has the necessary knowledge and skills."
- On April 4, 1998, An announcement was posted from the editors of ISO-HTML for the availability of ISO/IEC CD 15445 HTML, in HTML format. Roger Price and David Abrahamson have also produced a User's Guide to ISO/IEC 15445:1998 HyperText Markup Language (HTML).
- ISO/IEC 15445:1998(E) [Final CD, First edition 1998-00-00] "Information Technology -- Document Description and Processing Languages -- HyperText Markup Language (HTML)." Editors: Roger Price and David Abrahamson. [local archive copy]
- User's Guide to ISO/IEC 15445:1998 HyperText Markup Language(HTML), by Roger Price and David Abrahamson. [local archive copy, 980403]
- [December 07, 1997] N1944 was accepted as editing instructions for ISO-HTML, ISO Hypertext Markup Language, and the editors were instructed to prepare a new text for Final CD ballot. For background information on the decision, see "Recommendations of the Alexandria Meeting" of WG4 (5 December 1997).
- Editor's report on the Final CD 15445 ISO-HTML. November 6, 1997. [N1936, local archive copy]
- Report of the Editors of ISO-HTML. N1933. October 16 1997.
- Disposition of comments report - ISO/IEC CD 15445 ISO-HTML. N1934. October 14th 1997
- Proposed text of Final CD for ISO-HTML. N1935. October 14, 1997
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 18/WG8 N1931. "Report on W3C HTML 4.0/ISO-HTML Harmonization Meeting"; July 15th 1997. "The final Committee Draft of ISO 15445 ISO-HTML is currently under review, and balloting will end on August 15th 1997 . . .There are differences between ISO-HTML and HTML 4.0 which could lead to confusion about the "correct" definition of the language." [archive copy]
- WG8 and W3C cooperation. Report on informal meeting with W3C HTML editor, May 16th 1997. [local mirror copy]
- WG8 N1898 97-02-12 Committee Draft proposal for ISO-HTML (D. Abrahamson and R. Price); [local mirror copy]
- WG8 N1884 96-11-14 Disposition of Comments on ISO HTML (D. Abrahamson and R. Price)
- WG8 N1881 96-11-13 Supplemental (UK) ballot comments on ISO HTML (SC18)
- WG8 N1877 96-11-12 Disposition of Comments on ISO HTML Ballot (D. Abrahamson and R. Price)
- WG8 N1874 96-11-11 Strawman proposal for HTML work (R. Price), November 23, 1996; [mirror copy]
- WG8 N1868 96-11-07 Table of Replies on SC 18 N 5399, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 18 New Work Item Proposal on Standard HTML (SC18 N5459)
- WG8 N1856 96-05-23 Statement to JTC1 on use of HTML (WG8)
- WG8 N1853 96-05-21 New Project Proposal for Standard HTML (WG8); [unofficial HTML version]
- WG8 N1852 96-05-21 User Requirements for Standard HTML (C. Goldfarb); [crude net-html version, unofficial]
- FTP site for provisional draft documents (Department of Computer Science, Trinity College Dublin)