Texterity's TextCafe Supports SVG
TextCafe Version 3.0 Now Supports SVG
Generates Scalable Vector Graphics, Enhanced Navigation XML, Document Indexes
Southborough, MA, USA. November 21, 2002.
Texterity, Inc., a leading provider of electronic publishing services, today announced TextCafe Version 3.0, providing conversion of PDF into SVG pages, XML-based table of contents, and XML document search indexes. SVG provides customers with an XML-based representation of pages that appear identical to the original printed page.
TextCafe already provides automated, volume conversion for materials that need traditional XML and Open eBook (OEB) format. With TextCafe 3.0, publishers can now easily publish on-line and off-line versions of materials using standard web browsers for Windows, Macintosh and other platforms.
TextCafe 3.0 Features
TextCafe 3.0 provides the following key features:
- Automatic conversion from PDF to SVG pages, page-based word lists for indexed searches, and structural Table of Contents in XML format
- Ability to view SVG pages within any HTML page, using the Adobe SVG Viewer for either web-based (connected) or standalone (offline) use
- Full support for embedded fonts, including ability to create SVG standard font drawing instructions or Adobe Compact Embedded Fonts (CEF)
- Automatic extraction and optimization of all raster and bitmap images into standard PNG or JPEG formats
- Translation of line-drawing and vector images into SVG vector formats
- Matching between reflowable XML/OEB output, word indexes and SVG pages, enabling word highlighting and relevancy searching
"We are excited to see Texterity providing this pivotal support for SVG with their TextCafe product," said Julie McEntee, director of product marketing, Adobe. By enabling PDF to SVG conversion, customers with PDF-based workflows can take advantage of an XML framework to manage, manipulate and display their content. We're pleased that Texterity's services are compatible with the Adobe SVG Viewer and the Adobe Graphics Server, and see their service as a complement to our ePaper initiatives."
"TextCafe 3.0 provides a solution for high-quality, low-cost conversion and display of traditionally challenging web content," said Martin Hensel, President of Texterity. "We're working with documents from customers in financial services, catalog, magazine, book and journal areas who see our approach as a major improvement from current methods."
TextCafe 3.0 Benefits
TextCafe 3.0 provides significant benefits to publishers, including:
- Access to SVG-based material, providing reduced download times, page-level control, and full compatibility with the Adobe SVG 3.0 Viewer
- Leveraging PDF's ability to be created from virtually any application
- Easy access to word searching and navigation using XML-based files that match up with the SVG pages
- Ability to deliver content via the web, email, or offline
- Support for protection of output, text obfuscation, and control over printing, copying and forwarding of material
- Detailed tracking reports for viewed information, including search criteria used, pages viewed, and off-site links
TextCafe 3.0 services are ideal for customers with requirements for high-volume, high-quality conversion of existing PDF archives or workflows. The solution is ideal for web-based libraries, email delivery systems, or CD-ROM content delivery. Markets served include digital library, journal, technical documentation, catalog, digital magazine, and promotional materials.
TextCafe 3.0 SVG Services
The full suite of TextCafe 3.0 SVG services include:
- Conversion: generation of SVG pages, image extraction, search indexes, and XML table of contents from PDF input
- Enhancement: automatic generation of links into SVG pages based on part numbers, key words, or structural elements; metadata extraction, linking and highlighting; and deep XML TOC level creation
- Hosting: website development, integration, custom look-and-feel documents, links to existing site locations, and authenticated access
- Custom: website integration, development, and graphical user interface design for "custom skins" for on-line or off-line electronic books
Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) is an XML-based language for Web graphics developed by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). TextCafe 3.0 is supported by the Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0, which supports Windows, Macintosh, and Linux computers. In addition, TextCafe 3.0 SVG is compatible with the new Adobe Graphics Server 2.0, enabling flexible deployment of SVG to any web browser without a plug-in.
TextCafe version 3.0 services are available immediately. Pricing can be obtained directly from Texterity at their web site, or by calling 1-800-455-5450.
Founded in 1991, Texterity (http://www.texterity.com) is a leading provider of electronic publishing services enabling fast, cost-effective automated transformation of published pages into multiple electronic formats. Texterity's electronic publishing solutions include web catalog development, repurposing content and distribution of electronic files to multiple electronic retail channels. Texterity manages the electronic publishing life cycle, including automated conversion and distribution of existing content into XML, SVG, HTML, e-book, wireless, and print. Texterity provides services to leading publishing, catalog, and corporate customers including Penguin Putnam, Baker & Taylor, AOL Time Warner, St. Martin's Press, Prentice Hall, Houghton Mifflin, McGraw-Hill, Random House, and HarperCollins. Technology partners include Microsoft, Adobe Systems, Gemstar TV-Guide International, and Nokia. Texterity is headquartered in Southborough, Massachusetts, USA.