OpenOffice.org 1.1 Features New Import/Export Formats
Announcing OpenOffice.org 1.1 Beta
March 26, 2003.
We are glad to announce that the next OpenOffice.org version (OpenOffice.org 1.1) has reached an important milestone and is now available for download as OpenOffice.org 1.1 Beta. It represents a significant advance in the application and incorporates the features and changes introduced in the developer builds over the past year. The release includes a massive amount of new and exciting functionality, features and bugfixes, the highlights are:
- Many new import/export formats like PDF, Macromedia Flash, DocBook, several PDA Office file formats, flat XML and XHTML
- Support for Complex Text Layout (CTL) and vertical writing languages, such as Thai, Hindi, Arabic, Hebrew
- Enhanced integration with Java, with up to 10 times better performance
- Support for Accessibility throughout the entire suite
- Support for add-on components
- Initial support for recovering damaged OOo files
- Support for a new data source type -- MySQL
- Improved online help
For a more complete list of features please see:
The download page is located here:
While OpenOffice.org 1.1 beta is ready for day-to-day use and we would like as many people as possible to test it we must be stress that this is still a beta version and thus contains more bugs than a final version would. The QA project wants all bug-submitters to keep in mind that they should rember to pick the right version number ("1.1 beta") when submitting bugs to IssueZilla (http://www.openoffice.org/project_issues.html).
Thanks for supporting the OpenOffice.org project.
Co-Lead, Marketing Project
Tel: +1 (917) 375-8644
Prepared by Robin Cover for The XML Cover Pages archive. See details in the 2003-03-28 news story "OpenOffice.org Releases Version 1.1 Beta for Open Source Office Productivity Suite." General references in "OpenOffice.org XML File Format."