XML Spy 4.0b1 adds support for XML Schema Recommendation
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:40:26 -0400 From: XML Spy <email@example.com> To: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: ANNOUNCE: XML Spy 4.0b1 released today, adds support for XML Schema Recommendation and more
We are pleased to announce the start of the beta testing phase for the upcoming XML Spy 4.0 product line:
The XML Spy 4.0 Integrated Development Environment (IDE) builds on the success of the award-winning XML Spy 3.5 product in the developer market and adds expanded ODBC database access functionality, enhanced user interface customization, as well as support for the final XML Schema Recommendation for both graphical XML Schema editing and validation of XML instance documents based upon XML Schema.
In addition, the new 4.0 product line will include the XML Spy 4.0 Document Framework - a revolutionary solution for all document or content editing applications that is based on a combination of XML Schema and XSLT Stylesheets. This provides the customer with a highly user-friendly interface - very much like a typical word processor - that allows for true XML content editing and creation. The framework consists of two applications:
1. The XML Spy 4.0 Document Editor supports free-flow WYSIWYG text editing, form-based data input, graphical elements, presentation and editing of arbitrary repeating XML elements as tables, real-time validation, and consistency checking using XML Schema and is deployed on the end-users desk.
2. The XML Spy 4.0 Document Administrator application includes a graphical XSLT Generator that enables the customization of the document editor by defining an XSLT Stylesheet and additional editing-specific options based upon the underlying DTD or XML Schema for use during the content creation or editing process.
For the current 4.0 Beta 1 release, we are starting with the 4.0 IDE, which is available at this time. The Document Framework and XSLT Generator products will become available at a later date. This 4.0b1 version of the IDE includes the following new features:
- support for the final XML Schema Recommendation released by the W3C on 2001-05-02
- the ability to automatically convert schemas from the April 7 WD or Oct 24 CR to the final Rec version
- the ability to convert existing DTDs, XML-Data, or BizTalk schemas to the W3C XML Schema Definition Language
- automatic generation of an XML Schema from any ADO or ODBC accessible SQL database (including datatypes & relations)
- expanded database connectivity (ADO or ODBC) for import/export functions
- hierarchical database to XML import based on ADO SHAPE
- new user-interface look&feel (Office XP compatible)
- advanced user-interface customization (menus, keyboard-shortcuts, etc.)
- lots of bug-fixes
Use this URL to access our 4.0 product line preview page on the XML Spy web site, which contains an introduction to the new 4.0 product line as well as the download link for the actual 4.0b1 IDE software:
Please note, that due to the huge interest in our product we are no longer able to offer a public beta program for XML Spy 4.0. Access to the XML Spy 4.0 beta version is restricted to existing customers, who have already purchased a license for XML Spy 3.0 Premium or XML Spy 3.5. If you wish to participate in this beta program and are not yet an XML Spy customer, please visit our online shop at http://www.xmlspy.com/order to get your license for XML Spy today (US$ 199.-) - this way you will be able to take advantage of the advanced features and XML Schema support available with 4.0b1 now and automatically receive a FREE upgrade to the final XML Spy 4.0 IDE when it becomes available in July.
The XML Spy Company
Prepared by Robin Cover for The XML Cover Pages archive.