An Extensible Rule Markup Language (XRML) is being designed at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST). It is one of several XML-based agent-languages being developed for the support of Internet e-commerce. In particular, XRML supports a rule exchange scheme for workflow which can be understood by expert system agents. A draft specification describes XRML as "a language that may be used to represent the implicit rules in such a way as to allow software agents to process them as well as to be comprehensible to human... At highest level, the goals of the XRML specification are to: (1) support knowledge sharing between humans and software agents; (2) maintain consistency between natural language and structured rules; (3) design a light-weight markup notation with easy-to-understand tags." The XRML design includes XML DTDs for a Rule Structure Language, a Rule Triggering Language, and a Rule Identification Language.
Of the supporting XRML languages, "RIML is an 'HTML' language that adds meta-knowledge governing how the hypertext is related with the structured rule. RSML supports the rule base as a structured rule representation language; it is an intermediate language that can be easily associated with the RIML. The cardinality between RIML and RSML is M:N. The cardinality between atomic formulas in RIML and atomic sentences in RSML is M:N (one conclusion in RIML can be divided into two or more conclusions in RSML; one atomic sentence in RIML can be used in two or more premises in RSML; two or more atomic sentences can be used in one premise in RSML). RTML is used for the representation of attributes in grammatical form not only for a relevant rule, but also for a returned result that is selected among inference results; it can represent a suggestion for variables and values that describe attribute types."
- "DARPA Agent Mark Up Language (DAML)"
- "Rule Markup Language (RuleML)"
- "Agent-Oriented Rule Markup Language (AORML)"
- Business Rules Markup Language (BRML)
- "Simple Rule Markup Language (SRML)
- XML Belief Network File Format (Bayesian Networks)
- Relational-Functional Markup Language (RFML)
- Case Based Markup Language (CBML)
- Artificial Intelligence Markup Language (AIML)
- XML and Attribute Grammars
- XRML website
- International Center for Electronic Commerce
- "Extensible Rule Markup Language (XRML)." Specification Version 0.5. Intelligent Information System and Electronic Commerce Lab, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology. October, 2001. 14 pages. [PDF approximation; cache .DOC]
- "Consistency Maintenance between Web Pages and Rules using XRML." By Ju Young Kang (IIS/EC, Kaist Graduate School of Management). 2001-10-01. 84 slides. [cache]
- "Extensible Rule Markup Language (XRML)."