Members of the Business Internet Consortium (BIC) XML Convergence Workgroup have published key deliverables from the phase one endeavor of collecting "customer requirements to develop a generic XML-based standards reference stack and best practice guidelines for B2B processes, as well as a roadmap for businesses to migrate to the stack." The principal objective of the XML Convergence Workgroup in phase one was to develop "a conceptual model that describes the architectural components needed for B2B Automation." A High Level Conceptual Model for B2B Integration has now been released, together with three case studies from Intel, RosettaNet, and Ford Motor Company. The case studies reveal several areas that need improvement in terms of better standards specifications and adoption of more loosely coupled and flexible architectures. The BIC XML Convergence Workgroup "proposes to bring clarity by defining generic B2B layers and the corresponding recommended XML standards of a complete B2B, XML-based solution stack. The goals are to define a best-of breed XML solution stack that is standardized, comprehensive, and interoperable, and to develop an implementation path."
XML Convergence Workgroup Description:
Although the promise of XML as providing easy, affordable, interoperable B2B solutions has its merit, the current reality is that XML's numerous and diverse 'standards' make it impossible to piece it together into one, functioning solution stack. This working group proposes to bring clarity by defining the generic layers and the corresponding recommended XML standards of a complete B2B, XML-based solution stack. The goals are to define a best-of breed XML solution stack that is standardized, comprehensive, and interoperable and develop an implementation path.
Deliverables: To achieve these goals the working group will produce: (1) Definition of the generic layers of the stack in support of business requirements. This stack will describe discrete layers of functionality required to meet most B2B interactions. (2) A map of existing and emerging XML standards to each layer (3) A roadmap that enables businesses to adopt short term solutions while migrating towards the long term standard stack (4) Proof of concept solutions to showcase and lead businesses to the standard stack.
- Business Internet Consortium web site
- "BIC Drives B2B Automation With Agreement on XML Conceptual Model. Ford Motor Company, Intel, RosettaNet and Other e-Business Leaders Publish a Common Framework and Case Studies."
- XML-based eBusiness Standard Convergence Workgroup
- XML Convergence Workgroup white papers
- "Driving XML-based Standards Converence and Interoperability." Presentation by Dr. Jackson He, Intel Corporation and Chair of the Business Internet Consortium's XML Convergence Workgroup. Interoperability Summit Series, December 6 - 7, 2001, Orlando, Florida, USA
- "BIC Workgroup for XML-based eBusiness Standard Convergence" - Main reference page.