Henry S. Thompson (HCRC Language Technology Group, University of Edinburgh) has announced a revised 'beta test' release of his XSV 'Validator for XML Schema' service and corresponding XSU update tool for XML Schema CR -> PR. This version of XSV supports checking XML schema documents with the namespace URI http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema, corresponding to the W3C Proposed Recommendation for XML Schema. XSV is an open source "GPLed work-in-progress attempt at a conformant schema-aware processor." The online XSV interface provides two forms for W3C XML schema checking: "(1) one for checking a schema which is accessible via the Web, and/or schema-validating an instance with a schema of your own; (2) another form for use if you are behind a firewall or have a schema to check which is not accessible via the Web." In addition to source code distributions (Python), the latest version of XSV is available in a self-installing package for Win32 platforms. The XSU transformation tool provides for automated update of XML Schema documents from the XML Schema 20000922 version to the Proposed Recommendation (20010316) version. It is a service in 'beta test' which "attempts to convert valid XML schema documents with the namespace URI http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema to valid schema documents with the namespace URI http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" using a transform sheet. In this connection, the XSU developers request sample XML schemas to provide a testing pool: they ask that users grant permission to W3C to retain input of tested XML schemas (just tick the checkbox).
From the posting: "XSV, XSU changed to accommodate revised XML Schema PR draft. XSV has been upgraded to correspond to the recently announced revision to the XML Schema PR drafts, namely that the type formerly known as 'decimal', renamed to 'number' in the PR draft, has been changed back to 'decimal'. XSU has also been changed -- it still upgrades 2000/10/XMLSchema schema documents to 2001/XMLSchema documents, but in accord with the revised contents of 2001/XMLSchema.xsd it no longer changes xs:decimal to xs:number."
Earlier versions of XSV (no longer maintained):
- XSV for XML Schema 20000922 version for the no longer maintained previous version, for schema documents with the namespace URI http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema
- XSV for XML Schema 200004007 version for the no longer maintained even earlier version, for schema documents with the namespace URI http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema
[March 31, 2001] XML Schema. Revised PR version. W3C Proposed Recommendation 30-March-2001. "This version of this Proposed Recommendation replaces that published on 16-March-2001. The only change from that draft is that the type there called 'number' is here renamed 'decimal'. This type was called 'decimal' up until the draft of 16 March 2001, so this change simply restores the original name of this type." The deadline for review of this document is Monday 16 April 2001. XML Schema Part 0: Primer; XML Schema Part 1: Structures; XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes.
- Validator for XML Schema (XSV). PR (20010316) version. See announcement.
- XSU - Upgrade for XML Schema documents [20000922 to PR 20010316]
- Transform sheet for XSU
- XSV status report
- W3C XML Schema PR
- XSV schema checker source code
- Archive for W3C 'xmlschema-dev' mailing list
- XSV/XSU Developers: Henry Thompson, Richard Tobin, and Dan Connolly
- Other online XML Schema/DTD checking tools
- "XML Schemas" - Main reference page.