From the AgXML Executive Overview: "AgXML is a group of companies committed to bringing the efficiencies of ecommerce to grain- and oilseed-related business processes. We are doing the following: (1) Identifying business processes that, if automated, would improve efficiencies. (2) Determining the data requirement of the business processes identified in number 1. (3) Defining XML schemas that support the data requirements determined in number 2.
Background and approach: "As the mission implies, there is a considerable amount of inefficiencies resulting in unnecessary costs in various business processes within the grain and oilseed industry. AgXML will identify and plan to improve upon in priority order the inefficiencies that can be eliminated or reduced through electronically enabling portions of various business process. Basically this is an open effort. 'Open' means that anyone is welcome to learn about what the group is trying to accomplish, the activities to date, and the plans moving forward. As a group we are striving to reach out to as many grain and oilseed 'touch points' as we can. This includes the NGFA, RAPID, agchem, transportation, etc."
Accomplishments to date [2001-03-02]:
- We have hammered out an XML schema for contracts. We still have to work on amendments, terms and conditions, and some of the enumerations.
- We have created high-level UML activity diagrams and use cases for contracts.
- We have created a rough-draft version of activity diagrams and use cases for barge shipments, truck shipments, and rail shipments. We have begun the process of converting that documentation to UML activity diagrams and use cases.
- We have a second draft outlining the organizational structure and operation of an L.L.C. We have general agreement among the participants for the formation of an L.L.C.
- We're ready for companies to create at least two sample XML instance documents reflecting the content of typical and complex contracts, grain certifications, weight certifications, and bill of lading.