Release of XMLspec DTD Version 2.1
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 17:51:11 -0400 From: "Eve L. Maler" <Eve.Maler@east.sun.com> Subject: ANNOUNCE: XMLspec DTD Version 2.1
I've upgraded the XMLspec DTD to Version 2.1. You can find it here:
http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/06/xmlspec.dtd (latest DTD)
http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/06/xmlspec-v21.dtd (this release)
http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/06/xmlspec-report.htm (latest doc'n)
http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/06/xmlspec-report-v21.htm (this release)
Changes since V2.0 are all backwards compatible. The changes that will be of most interest to spec authors are as follows (see the DTD or documentation for an exhaustive list):
- Added the proto element for function prototypes a la XPath.
- Added the phrase-level elements function, var, sub, sup, phrase, el, att, and attval.
- Allowed status and abstract to appear in the W3C-dictated order.
- Updated XLink usage somewhat.
- Added a common diff attribute.
- Added a div5 element.
- Expanded the issue markup to handle issues lists better.
- Added an example element.
Though the documentation is accurate with respect to V2.1, it's getting long in the tooth; when I do V3.0 I'll try to overhaul it and add lots of examples. I do plan a V3.0 that will have some backwards-incompatible changes; I will distribute it with an XSLT stylesheet to upgrade legacy documents.
Ben Trafford and Chris Maden are working on a canonical XSLT stylesheet for converting XMLspec documents to HTML; it will cover all markup and will use approved W3C style. It will be announced here when it becomes available.
If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to let me know.
Eve Maler +1 781 442 3190 Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center elm @ east.sun.com
Prepared by Robin Cover for The XML Cover Pages archive.