ANN: libxml-2.2.5 Gnome XML library
From: Daniel Veillard <Daniel.Veillard@w3.org> To: email@example.com Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 12:13:40 +0200 Subject: ANN: libxml-2.2.5 Gnome XML library
I usually don't post announces of new releases of libxml to xml-dev, but this this version has XPointer support which was requested previously here I think it makes sense:
Libxml is the XML C library developped for the Gnome project, it allow to parse, manipulate, and save XML and HTML documents but it does not expose a GUI interface.
Here are some key points about libxml:
- Libxml exports Push and Pull type parser interfaces for both XML and HTML.
- Libxml can do DTD validation at parse time, using a parsed document instance, or with an arbitrary DTD.
- Libxml now includes a nearly complete XPath and XPointer implementations.
- It is written in plain C, making as few assumptions as possible, and sticking closely to ANSI C/POSIX for easy embedding. Works on Linux/Unix/Windows
- Basic support for HTTP and FTP client allowing to fetch remote resources
- The design is modular, most of the extensions can be compiled out.
- The internal document repesentation is as close as possible to the DOM interfaces.
- Libxml also has a SAX like interface; the interface is designed to be compatible with Expat.
- This library is released both under the W3C IPR and the GNU LGPL. Use either at your convenience
New in 2.2.5:
- XPointer implementation and initial testsuite
- Lot of XPath fixes, added variable and functions registration, more tests
- Portability fixes, lots of enhancements toward an easy Windows build and release
- Late validation fixes
- Integrated a lot of contributed patches
- Added memory management docs
- A performance problem when using large buffer seems fixed
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes | Today's Bookmarks : Tel : +33 476 615 257 | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW Fax : +33 476 615 207 | 38330 Montbonnot FRANCE | Gnome rpm2html rpmfind http://www.w3.org/People/all#veillard%40w3.org | RPM badminton Kaffe
Prepared by Robin Cover for The XML Cover Pages archive. See related references in "XML Linking and Addressing Languages (XPath, XPointer, XLink)."