OASIS e-Gov Discussion List
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 12:56:41 -0400 From: Karl F. Best <firstname.lastname@example.org> To: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com Subject: OASIS announcement of e-Gov discussion list
Upon the request by eligible participants I have created an OASIS Discussion List whose purpose is to discuss the creation of an OASIS Technical Committee. Discussion on the list will begin in seven days to give all interested people a chance to subscribe, and the list and its archive will be deleted after 90 days. The list is:
The proposal for the formation of the list is below.
In order to participate in the discussions on these topics you should subscribe to the discussion list using the subscription form at http://lists.oasis-open.org/ob/adm.pl or by sending a message to:
with the word "subscribe" as the body of the message. OASIS membership is not required in order to subscribe to this list. If you do not wish to subscribe but wish to view the discussion you may view the list archives at http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/
</karl> Karl F. Best OASIS - Director, Technical Operations +1 978.667.5115 x206 firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.oasis-open.org
Discussion List Name
XML based Standards for e-Government
Proposed Scope of TC
Many, if not all governments worldwide, are now developing strategies to a) deliver e-government services to citizens and businesses, and b) to support the modernisation of government. A fundamental component of enabling e-government is the adoption and use of XML based standards. To ensure these standards are developed with government requirements in mind it is proposed to create a new Technical Committee to co-ordinate and present a single voice for governments.
The suggested goals of the TC are:
- to provide a forum for governments internationally to voice their needs and requirements with respect to XML-based standards which can be handed off to relevant OASIS TCs (if they exist) or cause the formation of TCs for needs that are not currently being addressed
- to provide a mechanism for the creation of best practice documents relative to the adoption of OASIS specs/standards within governments internationally
- to promote the adoption of OASIS specs/standards within governments (include all bi-directional forms: G2G, G2B, G2C), which could include the creation of implementation-oriented pilot projects to involve software vendors and participating government agencies to demonstrate the use of OASIS specs/standards
- to work with other OASIS channels (e.g., XML.org for schema registry and/or information portal), act as a clearinghouse of information related to applicable specs/standards as well as activities and projects being conducted by governments in the adoption of XML-based systems and standards
The benefits for Governments in taking forward this work are seen to be:
- the TC would provide an avenue to get the developers of emerging standards, eg ebMXL, Web Services, to address the needs of governments and ensure the standards are not just developed for the benefit of the private sector
- it would provide a channel by which new standards required to support e-government could be identified and development organised
- it would provide governments with the voice to press for all relevant bodies to co-ordinate their activities
- it would provide a forum where EU countries could work together to deliver aspects of the eEurope 2005 plan.
Proposers of the Discussion List
John Borras, UK Office of e-Envoy, email@example.com
Jouko Salonen, Republica, firstname.lastname@example.org
Marion Royal, U.S. GSA, email@example.com
Discussion List Leader
Prepared by Robin Cover for The XML Cover Pages archive. See related references in the news item "OASIS Technical Committee Proposed for XML e-Government Standards."