[This local archive copy mirrored from the canonical site: http://members.aol.com/simonstl/xschema/goals.htm; links may not have complete integrity, so use the canonical document at this URL if possible.]
XSchema - Goals
- XSchema documents shall use XML document syntax, using element nesting and attributes to describe all constraints that may be verified by a processor using XSchema .
- XSchema shall define a transformation from XSchema documents to DTDs.
- XSchema documents shall be capable of representing the normalized element and attribute structures defined in XML 1.0 DTDs, and provide namespace support.
- XSchema documents shall be parseable, manageable, and manipulable using the same tools used to parse, manage, and manipulate XML documents.
- XSchema documents shall be easy to create, read, and modify, and shall provide authoring support.
- XSchema documents shall be easy to use in combination with a parser to provide structural validation of documents.
- XSchema shall include an XSchema document and an XML 1.0 DTD defining the structure of XSchema documents .
- XSchema shall suggest mechanisms for applying XSchema documents to documents.
- XSchema shall include mechanisms for extending the information included in XSchema documents to support metadata.
- The XSchema specification shall be readable, clear, and rigorous, using terminology and nomenclature as close to the XML 1.0 specification as possible.
- The XSchema specification will comply with and be consistent with W3C recommendations.
- XSchema documents shall provide constructs for human- and machine-readable documentation.
Note on 5: XSchema documents are intended to provide authoring support to XML documents described by XSchemas, not necessarily to XSchema documents themselves.