[Mirrored from: PUBLISHING ELECTRONIC PROTEIN SCIENCE ON THE WEB - CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS - http://www.prosci.uci.edu/ProSciDocs/EPS.EPubPresent.CUP2.html]
ELECTRONIC PROTEIN SCIENCE
ON THE WEB - CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS
Design Parsable SGML DTD for Electronic Protein Science
- - Create a parsable DTD that satisfies EPS and can be used by the
printed journal if possible.
- - Work with a consultant to ensure that the SGML DTD is parsable.
- - Work around the lack of greek/math and sub/superscript Web display
- - Expect continued development of DTD.
Develop Image Specification Standards for Graphics Production
- - Investigate how to predetermine image scanning requirements
(size and resolution).
- - Try to minimize the number of images for each in-line/external image.
- - Specify the division or merging of images when image is too large
(tables) or too small(equations).
Train CUP Personnel in SGML Based Electronic Publishing Tasks
- - Standardize article SGML markup process and train others.
Implement Software Applications and Network Communications
- - Work in an electronic environment by using email and ftp.
- - Understand basic file directory structure for article and image
posting on the Web Server.
- - Use
for article verification
Wordperfect for SGML).
Develop SGML Based Electronic Publishing Process
- - Develop standards for electronic manuscripts received from authors.
- - Use of standard applications for author artwork creation.
- - Have tools on hand to convert from author's application to a more
standard application for electronic production.
- - Expect continued development of DTD and Electronic Publishing system
as technology advances.
- - Strive to publish both electronic and printed journals with one system.
- - Convert articles from printed version SGML markup to electronic
version SGML markup. (Tables and figures are located at the end of
the printed version article and in-line for the electronic version.)
Basic Electronic Publishing Considerations
- - Standardize and automate editorial and production process as
much as possible.
- - Lessen human intervention in composition.
(Compositor uses hand-written notes to understand typesetting
This document last updated: 05 Mar firstname.lastname@example.org