The Consortium for Interchange of Museum Information (CIMI) has announced a public release of the Version 1.5 CIMI XML Schema for SPECTRUM, together with an implementation and testing forum. CIMI is a consortium of cultural heritage institutions and organizations that encourages open, standards-based approaches to creating and sharing digital information. The CIMI Schema for SPECTRUM enables the XML encoding of individual items in museum collections, across the full scope of Edition 2 of SPECTRUM: The UK Museum Documentation Standard.
The Schema v1.5 release includes CIMI XML Schema for SPECTRUM: Supporting Documentation. Section 5.1 of this document describes the test-bed datasets which demonstrate the potential of the CIMI Schema to encode data from a wide range of museum collections. Examples are provided. Section 5.2 supplies guidance on the use of the XML Schema within specific areas. "The examples illustrate areas of the Schema relating to complex issues in the description of museum objects. Implementers requiring further details are invited to post queries on the XML Discussion List, where CIMI staff and members will be happy to respond."
From the announcement:
The CIMI Consortium is pleased to announce the public release of Version 1.5 of the CIMI XML Schema for SPECTRUM, and the launch of an Open Implementers call to participate an Alpha Test Period.
The CIMI Schema will enable museums to encode rich descriptive information relating to museum objects, including associated information about people, places and events surrounding the history of museum objects, as well as information about their management and use within museums. The CIMI Schema will be useful for migrating data, the sharing of information between applications, and as an interchange format for OAI (Open Archives Initiative) metadata harvesting.
The CIMI Schema is based on the SPECTRUM, the data and collections management standard for museum collections. SPECTRUM was developed by mda and has been widely implemented in museums internationally.
The Schema has been tested by CIMI members and data from a variety of museum databases has been successfully encoded. Implementers from across the museum and XML communities are now invited to review and/or use the CIMI Schema in order that it can benefit from real-life use in projects.
- Announcement 2002-10-28: "Release of CIMI XML Schema for SPECTRUM and Open Implementers Call for Alpha Test Period"
- CIMI XML Schema v1.5 Display version
- CIMI XML Schema v1.5 Text version
- CIMI XML Schema for SPECTRUM: Supporting Documentation. By Alice Grant, CIMI XML Project Leader. 17 pages. PDF. "Describes the scope and content of version 1.5 of the CIMI XML Schema for SPECTRUM." Source .DOC
- Download the XML Schema as a ZIP file [cache 2002-10-28]
- CIMI XML Schema for SPECTRUM. XML working group page
- CIMI work description
- Testbed Call for Participation
- "CIMI Project Launches XML Testbed for SPECTRUM DTD." Announcement February 15, 2001.
- Contact: Alice Grant, CIMI XML Project Manager
- Open Archives Initiative (OAI)
- CIMI Home page
- "Consortium for Interchange of Museum Information (CIMI)" - Main reference page.