The Nomen Project at San Jose State University is one of several current endeavors focused upon an XML-based representation for name authority records. Nomen was created initially as a thesis project of Antonio M. Calvo, "MARC to XML: an Enhanced Name Authority Record," presented to the Faculty of the School of Library and Information Science, San Jose State University, California. The project web site references structured documents based upon records and resources from the Ira F. Brilliant Center for Beethoven Studies, San Jose, California. Sample documents are given for Beethoven, Archduke Rudolph, Emil Gilels, Boston Philharmonic Society, Goethe, and Bettina Brentano. The Nomen XML DTD for biographical data was created to "simplify and enhance the encoding of biographical data in EAD (Encoded Archival Description). The Nomen DTD provides a record structure for encoding the authorized name, variant names and biographical details of a person or a group being associated with informational items as subjects or creators. The structure of the Nomen DTD is described in relation to the MARC21 name authority format followed by a discussion of how it may be used as a means to create an authority file for EAD biographical data encoding and linking."
NOMEN Project description from the OCLC Systems and Services article: "The objective of the Nomen project was the design of an enhanced name authority record using XML. An examination was made of the existing elements in the specifications for the USMARC/MARC 21 Format for Name Authority Data. Based on this analysis, an enhanced record structure was developed and expressed as an XML DTD. Using this DTD, a sample set of records from the Center for Beethoven Studies were marked up. Finally, the Extensible Stylesheet Language (XSL) was used to display the records using the Internet Explorer 5 (IE5) Web browser."
- Nomen Project web site
- "Structuring Biographical Data in EAD with the Nomen DTD." By Antonio M. Calvo. In OCLC Systems and Services Volume 17, Number 4 (2001), pages 187-199. ISSN: 1065-075X, Emerald / MCB University Press.
- Nomen DTD. Text version.
- Nomen Tag Library. HTML version.
- See also: MARC XML DTD for Bibliographic/Holdings/Community Information Record [cache]
- See also: "MARC (MAchine Readable Cataloging) and SGML/XML."
- See also: "Encoded Archival Description (EAD)."
- "Nomen Project for Enhanced MARC 21 Name Authority" - Main reference page.